This Chocolate Soufflé for 1 is the perfect treat-yourself moment. Soufflés may be intimidating to many, but don’t worry! This recipe will walk you through just what you need to nail this impossibly light and airy treat. A few simple ingredients, a marriage of steam and a stable and strong protein foam, and some undeniably delicious Bixby chocolate are all you need.
1 egg, separated
1 pat butter for dish
0.75 oz Bixby Semisweet Baking Chips
2 tbsp granulated sugar, plus some for dish
¼ tsp cream of tartar
For serving: Sea salt, powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Prepare an oven-safe, 8 oz ramekin. Grease the interior of the ramekin with butter and add a spoonful of sugar, tapping and rolling the sugar to evenly coat the sides. Dump any excess sugar that remains.
- Separate the egg into yolk and whites. Add chocolate to a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time until completely melted.
- Whisk egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of sugar until the sugar is dissolved, and the mixture is light in color. Add melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, salt, and remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, and continue beating until the egg whites form stiff, glossy peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until combined using a rubber spatula. Pour the mixture into the previously prepared rameking and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the center is just barely set. Serve immediately with a pinch of sea salt or a sprinkle of powdered sugar if desired.