Vegan Red Velvet Cookies
Dive into these soft, chewy, vibrant, and surprisingly vegan Red Velvet Cookies! Each tender bite is sprinkled with delectable Bixby Semisweet Baking Chips. Fresh out of the oven, you’ll find crunchy edges, with just-baked, doughy centers, and glorious, molten pools of Bixby chocolate.
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
2 tsp natural red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking soda
- Prepare flax egg. In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed meal and water. Set aside for five minutes to become a gell. Roughly chop the baking chips.
- Utilizing a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the vegan butter and sugars on medium speed until combined. Add flaxseed egg, vanilla, and red food coloring, and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and mix until a dough forms. Add chocolate baking chips, and mix to distribute.
- Note: add additional red food coloring here if needed to achieve the desired color. The dough will be slightly less vibrant once baked.
- Roll dough into balls utilizing about 2 heaping tablespoons of dough per cookie. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment about two inches apart. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Once the dough is chilled, bake for 14-16 minutes, or until crisp on the edges, but soft and just baked in the center. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before enjoying!