Vegan Double Chocolate Scotcheroos
Scotcheroos are a favorite, easy, dessert bar for a reason. They’re chewy, crunchy, salty and sweet, and topped with a thick layer of butterscotch and chocolate. This classic no-bake treat has been given a makeover. These Vegan Double Chocolate Scotcheroos are vegan-friendly, and doubly delicious featuring Bixby Semisweet Baking chips in the bars, and in the topping. Throw a tray of this crowd-pleasing dessert together for your next party or family gathering.
5 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup Bixby Semisweet Baking Chips
1 ½ cup vegan butterscotch chips
1 cup Bixby Semisweet Baking Chips
- Add maple syrup, sugar, peanut butter, and ¼ cup semisweet baking chips to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stirring frequently, heat the mixture until it is completely melted and the sugar has mostly dissolved.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the puffed rice cereal and melted peanut butter and chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula, mix until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 baking dish lined with parchment and spread into an even layer.
- Add the butterscotch and remaining 1 cup semisweet baking chips to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stirring frequently, melt the mixture completely.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the puffed rice bars and spread to form an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until the chocolate topping is set. Cut into bars, and enjoy within five days.