Chocolate Chip Liège Waffles
These Chocolate Chip Liège Waffles are inspired by a classic Belgian treat. They feature a rich brioche dough, sprinkled with homemade pearl sugar that pops with delectable caramelized sweetness in your mouth. This recipe also incorporates pools of melted Bixby Chocolate in each bite. If you’re feeling indulgent, melt down additional chocolate and dip your waffles for an even sweeter treat! Prepare the dough the night before, and dive into a divine weekend brunch!
3 large eggs
1 ½ sticks butter
3 oz Bixby Bittersweet or Semisweet Baking Chips
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup warm whole milk
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
- Add milk to a small microwave safe bowl and heat for 10-12 seconds, until warm. Add the milk and yeast to a stand mixer with the hook attachment and set aside for five minutes, until foamy.
- Whisk the eggs until just no white streaks remain. Once the yeast is foamy, turn the mixer to low speed and slowly add the flour, then the eggs, then the brown sugar, and salt. Combine until the dough is shaggy. Allow the dough to rest, covered with a towel, for 20 minutes.
- After resting, knead the dough on medium speed for 8-10 minutes, or until the dough is elastic and smooth. Once smooth, add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting until each piece is nearly incorporated before adding the next.
- Once the butter has been added, transfer the dough to a lightly buttered bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Once doubled in size, punch down the dough and knead about a dozen times. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for 8-12 hours.
- Prepare pearl sugar. Add sugar and water to a small saucepan over very low heat. Stir the mixture until small clumps form. Allow to sit over low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool completely before using.
- Roughly chop the chocolate into small chunks. Once the dough has rested overnight, turn onto a clean and lightly floured work surface. Flatten the dough into a large disk and sprinkle the chocolate and pearl sugar onto the surface. Knead until the sugar and chocolate chunks are distributed evenly. Cut the dough into ten even pieces and roll into balls.
- Turn your oven to the lowest setting (170-200 Fahrenheit) and preheat your waffle iron. Grease and firmly press the dough into the iron. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until deeply golden and cooked through. Transfer to a ceramic baking dish and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Enjoy warm!
- Optional: melt down additional Bixby Semisweet Chocolate Baking Chips in a double boiler and dip your waffles in the melted chocolate!