Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones
These Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones are simple and straight-forward. Treat yourself to this tender and flakey pastry that is sprinkled with molten pools of Bixby chocolate in every bite. Enjoy these biscuits fresh from the oven with a glass of your favorite milk alternative and some fresh berries.
1 ¾ cup flour
½ cup oat milk, plus 1 tbsp
¼ cup sugar, plus a pinch for sprinkling on top
¼ cup water
3 tbsp vegan butter, cold
1 tbsp flaxseed
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 Fahrenheit. Prepare flax egg by combining flaxseed meal and water and setting aside for about five minutes to form a gel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ¼ cup sugar, salt, and baking chips until mixed.
- Cut vegan butter into pea sized pieces and mix into the dry ingredients until distributed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flax egg, ½ cup oat milk, and vanilla until combined.
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Use a fork to combine the wet and dry ingredients until a single mass forms, taking care not to overmix.
- Transfer the dough onto a clean and floured work surface. Pat the dough into a rectangle about ½ inch thick. Fold the dough into thirds. Repeat patting the dough into a rectangle and folding 1-2 additional times to create flakey biscuit layers.
- Once the dough has been folded, pat the dough into a square about 12x12 inches in dimension. Use a knife to slice the scones into triangles and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 1-2 inches apart.
- Brush the scones with the remaining 1 tablespoon oat milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake the scones for 13-15 minutes, or until lightly golden.