Vegan Blueberry Muffins with Cacao Nibs
These Vegan Blueberry Muffins with Cacao Nibs are a fabulous on-the-go breakfast treat. Each muffin is bursting with fresh blueberries, bites of flavorful cacao nibs, and topped with a tender and toasty oat crumble.
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tbsp
½ cup blueberries
½ cup vegan butter, melted
½ cup plain vegan yogurt
½ cup water
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup Bixby Cacao Nibs
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt
½ cup oats
⅓ cup brown sugar
¼ cup vegan butter
2 tbsp flour
½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit. Prepare flaxseed egg. In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed meal and water and set aside to thicken into a gel.
- Prepare the muffin batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, 1 ¼ cup flour, baking powder, salt, and cacao nibs. Toss the blueberries in the remaining 2 tablespoons flour to coat.
- In a separate bowl, combine the gelled flaxseed egg, vegan yogurt, and vanilla extract. Mix completely.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Add the blueberries and mix to distribute.
- Prepare the oat crumble. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the vegan butter completely. Combine the 2 tablespoons flour, oats, brown sugar, melted vegan butter, and cinnamon.
- Scoop the muffin batter into a lined or greased standard muffin tin, filling each cup ¾ full until the batter is gone. Top each muffin evenly with the oat crumble.
- Bake for 5 minutes and 425 Fahrenheit. After five minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 325 Fahrenheit, and continue baking for 15-20 additional minutes. The muffins are done when a tester inserted comes out mostly clean with a couple of crumbs.
- Remove from the muffin tin and cool for at least 10 minutes before enjoying.